This topic includes the following sections:
System Requirements for Installing the JDK on macOS
The following are the system requirements for installing the JDK on macOS:
Any Intel-based computer running macOS.
You cannot install Java for a single user. Installing the JDK on macOS is performed on a systemwide basis for all users. Administrator privileges are required to install the JDK on macOS.
Determining the Default JDK Version on macOS
This is a very short video, showing you how to fix the legacy Java SE 6 runtime issue, certain applications have, on OSx Yosemite. It's really simple, just d.
- Download, Install, or Update the best Mac apps - MacUpdate. Home Developer Tools Java Java SE Runtime Environment 8 Download. Download Java SE Runtime Environment 8 8u261. Complete all steps and get this app. Download your app on oracle.com. Create Ad-free MacUpdate Account. You’ll be redirected to.
- Important: Ensure that you install Java SE 6 Runtime only by clicking Install in the pop-up window.If you install Java SE 6 or 7 Runtime through any other means (for example, by directly accessing Java.com), Dreamweaver could still display the prompt.
- Java for OS X 2015-001 is what you need. Of course, the download page still refers only to 10.7-10.11.
When starting a Java application through the command line, the system uses the default JDK.
You can determine which version of the JDK is the default by entering
java -version in a Terminal window. If the installed version is 14 Interim 0, Update 0, and Patch 0, then you see a string that includes the text
14. For example:
To run a different version of Java, either specify the full path, or use the
java_home tool. For example:
$ /usr/libexec/java_home -v 14 --exec javac -version
Installing the JDK on macOS
- Download the JDK
Before the file can be downloaded, you must accept the license agreement.
- From either the browser Downloads window or from the file browser, double-click the
.dmgfile to start it.A Finder window appears that contains an icon of an open box and the name of the
- Double-click the
JDK 14.pkgicon to start the installation application.The installation application displays the Introduction window.
- Click Continue.
- Click Install. A window appears that displays the message: Installer is trying to install new software. Enter your password to allow this.
- Enter the Administrator user name and password and click Install Software.The software is installed and a confirmation window is displayed.
.dmgfile if you want to save disk space.
Uninstalling the JDK on macOSYou must have Administrator privileges.
Legacy Java Se 6 Runtime For Mac Yosemite Free Download
Do not attempt to uninstall Java by removing the Java tools from
/usr/bin. This directory is part of the system software and any changes will be reset by Apple the next time that you perform an update of the OS.
- Go to
- Remove the directory whose name matches the following format by executing the
rmcommand as a root user or by using the
For example, to uninstall 14 Interim 0 Update 0 Patch 0:
$ rm -rf jdk-14.jdk
Installation FAQ on macOS Platform
This topic provides answers for the following frequently asked questions about installing JDK on macOS computers.
1. How do I find out which version of Java is the system default?
When you run a Java application from the command line, it uses the default JDK. If you do not develop Java applications, then you do not need to worry about this. See Determining the Default JDK Version on macOS.
2. How do I uninstall Java?
See Uninstalling the JDK on macOS.
3. After installing Java for macOS 2012-006, can I continue to use Apple's Java 6 alongside the macOS JDK for Java 14?
If you want to continue to develop with Java 6 using command-line, then you can modify the startup script for your favorite command environment. For bash, use this:
$ export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 14`
Some applications use
/usr/bin/java to call Java. After installing Java for macOS 2012-006,
/usr/bin/java will find the newest JDK installed, and will use that for all of the Java-related command-line tools in
/usr/bin. You may need to modify those applications to find Java 6, or contact the developer for a newer version of the application.
Java Se 6 Runtime Download
4. What happened to the Java Preferences app in Application Utilities?
The Java Preferences app was part of the Apple Java installation and is not used by Oracle Java. Therefore, macOS releases from Apple that do not include Apple Java will not include Java Preferences.